Fire Safety Law & Farms
The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to all farm buildings where people work. This includes packing sheds, milking parlours, barns, holiday lets and farm houses used for providing bed and breakfast.
Comply with the law
To comply with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 you must:
- complete a fire safety risk assessment and carry out any needs that are identified
- manage hazardous materials properly
- ensure people are alerted to a fire and can escape to safety
- make a farm fire plan for animal evacuation
- make a farm fire plan for evacuating your animals.
Fire Risk Assessments
If you employ five or more people, you are lawfully required to carry out a fire safety assessment for your farm buildings and record the findings.
The law firmly places the responsibility for all fire safety matters with not only the employer/manager, but also the building owner where applicable, and the employees.
The government has produced a specific guidance document on fire safety risk assessments for animal premises and stables. What could happen if you don’t obey the law. The consequences of not complying with fire safety requirements can be severe. Apart from the potential for loss of life, injury or damage to property, enforcement action may be taken.
The penalties are set out in legislation and will range from a fine to custodial sentence and may, in extreme circumstances, include both.
If you don’t obey the law, you could lose your business or be prosecuted and face a fine or prison sentence of up to two years.
Farm Fire Plans
A farm fire plan contains key information helpful to fire crews so they can take action as swiftly as possible in the event of an emergency incident, helping protect life and property on your farm. Farm plans must include:
- farm contact details
- vet contact details
- fertiliser store information
- locations/types of water sources
- electricity supply
- location(s) of any asbestos
- fuel storage
- types of/storage of cylinders
- information on hazards/risks